La Cuisinière

(mis)adventures in the world of professional cooking

Wednesday, October 11, 2006



Last weekend I was lucky enough to get a tour of Breezy Hill Orchard by the lovely owner Elizabeth Ryan. Along with tasting generous samples of her freshly baked pies and wonderfully crisp cider I also got to do a little apple picking. The prize of Ryan's orchard is the giant King Luscious, a lovely cross between the Stayman and Wolf River antique apples. It makes a wonderful eating apple and is equally delicious in both sweet and savory dishes. I paired it with some pork sausage to stuff a roasted delicata squash and the tart apple came through perfectly.

If you find yourself in the Clinton Corners, NY area I definitely recommend a visit, or stop by and see them at the Union Square Greenmarket on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

1 Comments:

Blogger the Albino Bowler said...

Nicely done. I think back of the house folks are some of the craziest alive. I just recently wrote a post about one of my favorites, Chef Scary.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home